The Oriental Club of Philadelphia was founded in 1888 by a group of scholars and other prominent intellectuals in the Philadelphia area in order to provide a forum for the exchange of academic ideas and new findings about the cultures of South and East Asia and the Near East. Fields of study represented by members in the early days of the club included Sanskrit, the Ancient Near East, Judaica, and the art and archaeology of Asia. Founding members included Cyrus Adler, Tatsui Baba, George Dana Boardman, Stewart Culin, Morton W. Easton, Paul Haupt, Edward Washburn Hopkins, Marcus Jastrow, Morris Jastrow Jr., Benjamin Smith Lyman, Robert W. Rogers, Mayer Sulzberger, Henry Clay Trumbull, and Talcott Williams.
After many successful years, interest in membership in this forum waned, and in Fall 2016 the remaining members of the OC decided to dissolve the Oriental Club. The archives of the Oriental Club are accessible at the Abington College Library, Penn State Abington.